Broken Arm


Tuesday before Halloween I get a call around 12 saying that Lilliana had hurt her arm at school and I needed to come pick her up and probably take her to the doctor.  I was at the fabric store picking up some fabric I needed to make some vests for a costume for the school play and it was almost my turn to get the fabric cut so I said I would finish up at the store and be right over.  2-3 minutes so by and I get another call from the school saying that her arm looks more emergent than initially thought and they are thinking they need to call 911.  Now my heart is racing, I leave the fabric, gather up Camille and Allison and can't get in the car fast enough.  As I'm driving to school I'm trying to reach Jim, who had his phone off for a meeting, and my mom because I knew I would need someone to take the girls.  I get my mom on the phone and tell her what's going on and that she needed to meet me at Good Samaritan Hospital.  I get to the school and was thinking they would have her in the office so I park in front and leave the girls in the car assuming I would get Lilliana and we would go right to the ER.  The vice principal meets me outside and walks me to the back field.  As I'm walking back there I can see the paramedics and fire department all around.  I'm telling myself to hold it together and trying to take deep breaths, I obviously don't want Lilliana to see me upset.  I get to Lilliana and she's laying face down on the ground with her arm out and you can clearly see where it's broken.  It looked like Harry Potter's arm after what's his name did the spell to remove the bones from his arm.  I can see why the school thought we better call 911.  After a minute I realize Camille and Allison are still in the car and ask if someone can just go stay with them.  They get a splint on her arm and get Lilliana up onto the gurney.  They are going to take her by ambulance to the ER.  She's frightened and in pain and keeps asking for her blanket and teddy bear.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to leave her and drive my car with Camille and Allison, and leave Lilliana alone.  As I'm telling Lilliana this and she starts to cry I'm trying hard not to cry myself, the science teacher Mrs DeMoss offers to drive my car to the ER where my mom will be waiting so she can take them home.  What a relief it was not to have to leave Lillie.  So they get her all situated in the ambulance and off we go.  I've never ridden in one before, and I hope to never need to again.  The paramedic helping Lilliana was very kind and even gave her a teddy bear with a cast and some crutches.  As they were getting ready to get her out of the ambulance Lilliana tells me she wants a blessing.  And very specifically by someone who has priesthood authority.  I told her Dad would be there soon to give her a blessing.  She said I needed to call someone from the ward to come and help.  Luckily Grandpa Gary doesn't work too far away so he came too.  Lillie is very afraid of needles so refused any pain meds they could give her.  Once we got to the hospital they had some needle free pain meds (although it was a nasal spray and that took A LOT of convincing to get her to allow them to give it to her).  At X-ray it was confirmed that she broke her arm.  Both the radius and ulna were broken.  One bone was completely out of place and the second was about 2/3 broken through.  So they were going to need to set it.  The doctor recommended we have Lilliana sedated for the procedure - I whole heartily agreed.  I was concerned though how Lilliana would handle getting an IV.  They brought in 2 peds nurses who did a wonderful job being patient, but firm with her.  They got the IV in and then it was time to set the bones.  It is not a gentle process putting bones back where they belong.  They were literally pushing and pulling on my babies arm.  A few minutes into it the doctor looks up to check that Jim and I were doing ok.  After they got everything aligned they hung weights down from her elbow to make sure everything was straight.  Then they wrapped her arm up and put a splint on it.  They had to work rather quickly as Lilliana was starting to wake up.  It took her some time to fully come too and she kept complaining about how dizzy she was, but thankfully she didn't remember a thing or feel any pain.  It was time to take her home.  Once we got home Camille was so sweet to Lilliana and didn't want to leave her side.  So that's to story of Lilliana's broken arm.  Wait I almost forgot to tell you HOW she did it.  She was out on the back field at school practicing her front handsprings.  At the beginning of one she said her arm slipped and she fell.  

Lilliana was understandably NOT happy to be there.


Warning, if you are at all squeamish do not scroll down to see the picture of her arm before they set it…



















Comments

  1. Poor thing!! And so traumatic for everyone! I hope it heals quickly--what a rough experience. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts