Christmas Happenings

Christmas really snuck up on me this year.  I usually try to have most gifts and things ready shortly after Thanksgiving.  I have a color coded spreadsheet with formulas and everything!!  But this year every time I sat down to fill it out I would get interrupted.  So I felt a little frazzled this year when trying to prepare.  I guess that's what happens when there are four kids in your house.   Despite all the running around we had a wonderful Christmas. 

As a tradition we go caroling with my family.  This year we went to Morgan Hill (my Mom and Step-dad moved there earlier this year).  At one house we drove around this small mobile home park for at least 20 minutes trying to find this elderly couples home.  I was ready to say forget it and move on to the next house.  However we persisted and I'm so glad we did.  The joy in this couples face was so worth the driving around.  As we sang Christmas carols to this couple I felt the love of my Savior and the love the Savior has for this couple. 

Christmas eve was filled with events.  First we headed to Jim's mom's house for her afternoon Christmas eve party.  We ate, sang Christmas songs, and had a fun gift exchange.  Next we went home so that I could finish baking some delicious homemade rolls.  Then it was on to my Aunt Denise's.  Each year she has a theme - some of these have included a Swedish Christmas, Chanukkah, a 1950s Christmas, Mexican Christmas, etc...  So this year the theme was "My Favorite Things."  So we each picked a favorite thing from Christmas' past.  We had a pinata, played dreidel, and did a nativity.  It was definitely a wonderful Christmas eve. 




Then we also had an adult gift exchange.  We were only allowed to spend $10 and the idea is to be creative.  Some of the gifts included, 1 dz donuts, a make your own ugly Christmas sweater kit, and a Hawaiian vacation kit.  Fun times.  I really enjoy making memories like these with my family.  We are so blessed to have all our family close by. 

Christmas day was a stay at home kind of day.  I think because we were out so late the night before the kids didn't get up until 7:30.  Jim - I mean Santa wrapped the hallway door for the kids to tear through in the morning.  Santa left quite an array of gifts.  Allison got a new little push bike, Camille received a leapster explorer, Mark of course got a new engine for his train set, and Lilliana got a furby and karate lessons.  There were other smaller gifts for the kids but these were the big ones.  I hardly took any pictures this year, sorry.  After breakfast my Mom, Stepdad, and sisters came over to exchange gifts.  After they left the kids went off and played with their new toys.  Jim and I got to work on Christmas dinner.  Jim is a wonderful cook and he did most of it this year.  We had prime rib, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and salad.  For dessert I made individual molten chocolate lava cakes.  We had Jim's family over for dinner.  I think it took me 2 days to get all the dishes done and the kitchen cleaned from the party.  As much work as it is to prepare for these events I truly love having friends and family come to celebrate these special events with us.  I'm already starting to think what I'd like to do next year!




Comments

  1. glad you are back blogging. I need to blog more often. I need to document our life more often. I really do feel it's important, but you know...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts